More than 2 million doctors, medical students, and other health professionals around the world have owned a copy of Davidson’s Principles and Practice of Medicine 23rd edition (PDF) since it was first published. Now in its Twenty third Edition, this PDF etextbook describes the clinical features and pathophysiology of the most frequently encountered conditions in the major specialties of adult medicine and explains how to investigate, recognize, diagnose and manage them. Taking its origins from Sir S. Davidson’s much-admired lecture notes, Davidson’s has endured because it keeps pace with how modern medicine is taught and provides a wealth of information in a concise, easy-to-read, and beautifully illustrated format. This etextbook will serve medical students and readers everywhere as a core textbook that integrates medical science with clinical medicine, conveying practical advice and key knowledge in a highly accessible and readable format.
- Clinical Examination overviews summarise the main elements for each system and now feature in the nutrition, biochemistry and dermatology chapters.
- The opening section describes the fundamentals of immunology, genetics, infectious diseases and population health, and discusses the core principles of clinical decision-making and good prescribing.
- A new second section on emergency and critical care medicine encompasses envenomation, poisoning, and environmental medicine, and introduces a new chapter on acute medicine and critical illness.
- The third section covers the major medical specialties, each thoroughly revised and brought fully up to date. 2 new chapters on maternal and transition/adolescent medicine complement the one on disease and ageing.
- A new chapter on medical ophthalmology has been included as a direct response to students’ requests.
- Presenting Problems sections provide a clear pathway for the assessment of and approach to the most common complaints in each specialty.
- Practice Point summaries detail the practical skills that college students and junior doctors must acquire.
- Emergency boxes emphasize the core knowledge needed to manage acutely ill patients.
- In Old Age, In Pregnancy and In Adolescence boxes highlight differences in the practice of medicine in these patient groups, and illustrate the interfaces between medical, obstetric and pediatric services.
- The textbook is extensively illustrated, with over 1000 clinical photographs, diagrams, and radiology and pathology images.
- A new internal text design for this 23rd Edition provides a simpler and clearer presentation of the various categories of text boxes.
The global perspective is enhanced by an International Advisory Board of experts from seventeen countries, and by expert authors from around the world.