This PDF etextbook Continuum Mechanics using Mathematica: Fundamentals, Methods, and Applications (2nd Edition)‘s [Modeling and Simulation in Science, Engineering and Technology] methodological approach familiarizes readers with the mathematical tools required to correctly define and solve problems in continuum mechanics. Covering essential principles and fundamental applications, this 2nd edition of Continuum Mechanics using Mathematica® provides a solid basis for a deeper study of more challenging and specialized problems related to nonlinear elasticity, mixtures, polar continua, ferroelectricity, piezoelectricity, magneto-fluid mechanics and state changes (see A. Romano, A. Marasco, Continuum Mechanics: Advanced Topics and Research Trends, Springer (Birkhäuser), 2010, ISBN 978-0-8176-4869-5).
Key topics and features:
* Concise presentation strikes a balance between fundamentals and applications
* Requisite mathematical background carefully collected in two introductory chapters and one appendix
* Recent developments highlighted through coverage of more significant applications to areas such as wave propagation, porous media, fluid mechanics, linear elasticity.
This 2nd edition expands the key topics and features to include:
* 2 new applications of fluid dynamics: navigation and meteorology
* New exercises at the end of the existing chapters
* The packages are rewritten for Mathematica 9 Continuum Mechanics using Mathematica®: Fundamentals, Applications and Scientific Computing is aimed at advanced graduates, undergraduate students and researchers in applied mathematics, mathematical physics and engineering. It may serve as a course etextbook or self-study reference for anyone seeking a solid foundation in continuum mechanics.